Sunday, April 17, 2011

Being Away...

So I thought I would add a little post about being away from your significant other.  When my husband joined up last year I knew that I was going to have to become more independent and adapt to being by myself 90% of the time.  What I didn't know was how difficult that initial adaption would be.  In the beginning I was at a complete loss of what to do, but I listened to the advice of my friends and family and stayed busy.  I think in the first week I cleaned EVERYTHING top to bottom and reorganized every drawer and paper that I had.  It helped, but once I ran out of things to clean I was back to where I started.  You have to find that happy median of keeping your mind busy but not exhausting yourself at the same time.

 Anyway, my husband has now been gone for about 8 months and I can definitely say that I have grown into a stronger person.  Being separated from the one I love is one of the most difficult things I have ever encountered.  It is even more difficult for my husband, because although I don't have him, I have my support system of my family and friends.  He has the friends he's made there, but no family and not his best friend that he's known since he was a kid.  We've had to make serious adjustments in our routine to make sure that we are both still there for each other and we have become serious phone people.  I hate talking on the phone, I would much rather shoot an e-mail or a text message, but yet I spend close to 450 minutes every month speaking to my husband not including text messages and skype dates. With him working nights from (11 pm to 9 am-- Eastern time) and me going to school during the day... stealing a few minutes here and there to talk is the best we can do.

I have learned about the hard goodbyes that face Army life and I can honestly say that if they would ever end... I wouldn't miss them.  I keep telling myself that I'll get used to them, but it never is easier when I tell him goodbye. In the past several months I have been taking trips back to Georgia every 1 1/2-2 months to see him and always end up crying with that goodbye.  I don't even want to think about what it will be like when he gets deployed.  Not if he gets deployed, but when.

The point is that the Army life will make you a stronger person, even if you don't anticipate it.  Although I still cry and miss him all the time, I am able to live my life and get by.  I am so close to getting my degree that I can taste it, and it's the thought that just days after graduation I'll be hitting the road that makes it all worth it.  No, scratch that... it's not the time until graduation that makes it worth it... he makes it worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment