Sunday, April 17, 2011

Get up and RUN!


So one thing for people to know about me is that I have NEVER been a runner.  I've always been horrible at it, and never had much success with it.  When I was a Sophomore in high school I was able to run the mile in about 9 1/2 minutes and that was because I was in shape from swimming five days a week.  That has been my record for not only fastest time for my mile and also the longest time I was able to run without stopping.  Although I had never been much of a runner, I had always wanted to be.  When my husband and I first met, he was an avid runner (still is) and I was very envious of his abilities.

Well, about 6 weeks ago I had a dream about me running. I was just running, not because I was being chased or I was in a race, just for the pure joy.  I remember the dream being so realistic and it felt so invigorating, that I woke up wanting to jump out of bed and go for a run.  So... after I reluctantly woke up, I went to my computer and looked up schedules for getting in tip top running shape.  I found this running plan and have stuck to it for the past 6 weeks.  I am currently at the end of the 5th week of the plan because I had to repeat a week (didn't feel that my body was able to move on).  I have a feeling that I'll be repeating the exercise I attempted yesterday for the next week because it wasn't a success ("Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking").

Even though I didn't come close to the 20 minute jog that I was supposed to complete, I still felt a sense of accomplishment.  I jogged for longer than I ever have in my life and I am constantly making improvements.  This is a big thing for me to stick to a running plan and to actually improve on it.  Before when I had made attempts to enter the running world I would get as far as a week before I gave up.  Not this time... I'm sick of being left in the dust.  I'm hoping that my husband and I can run a 5k together when I finish training, it's something that I've always wanted to do and is currently on my bucket list (along with completing a 10k).

So wish me luck on my journey to running my booty off!

No comments:

Post a Comment