Tuesday, May 31, 2011

So Proud of Myself

I've been writing my 8 page paper, but I need a little break so here I am to tell you about something that had me really excited this morning.

This morning I woke up to my phone beeping that I had a new e-mail.  I groggily rolled over and pulled out my phone to see if it was anything important.  When I looked at what it was about, I definitely woke up in a flash.  It was news that I had been waiting to hear about for the past week.  The "unofficial scores" were posted for my final CSET (I'll describe later what it is) and I passed!!  I was so excited and I'm so thankful that I finished it all, a lot of hard work to come to an end.


CSET stands for California Subject Examinations for Teachers and is a requirement for obtaining credentials in California and to begin teaching in a classroom.  There are three subtests that make up the CSET and they range over pretty much all subjects including, English, History, Mathematics, Sciences, Physical Education, Human Development, and Visual and Performing Arts.

Many people ask why I took the test if I'm leaving California but in my eyes, it's very logical.  First off, it's going to be a long time before I can go back to school to get my credentials so I figure it would be much better to take the tests now while the material is fresh in my mind than 3 or 4 years down the road when I would likely fail the tests multiple times ($70 per test and 3 subtests= lots of money).  Not only that, but we don't know where we'll be going after Matthew gets out, or even while he's in.  The teaching requirement for credentials is different for nearly every state so where I don't want to go through the process of getting my credentials in California if they wont transfer over to another state, it would be nice to have the tests out of the way if other states accept it (or if we come back to California).  Finally, it looks so good on my resume when I apply for non-credential positions in the school if I can say that I have passed the tests required for credential students, I've also passed the test required to substitute teach, but that's another thing completely. ;) (Oh btw, did I mention that I passed all my tests on the first try???  I only know of like 1 other person that has not had to retake ANY of the tests!)

So with looking at all that I have done, I have been so swelled with self-accomplishment today.  I know it may sound like I'm conceited with this post, but really, this is a big deal for me.  I'm graduating in 11 days, I have my teaching tests done, and I'm ready to start my life.  The only thing missing is my husband and I'll be on my way to him in 2 weeks.  Life is starting to come together and I am so excited for it!

**Update** Got my "official" scores in the mail.  Apparently I managed to forget to answer an essay question but still managed to pass?!?!?  Definitely thankful that I did so well on the multiple choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment