Monday, July 25, 2011

Germany PCS Checklist

Planning a PCS overseas is stressful to say the least.  Upon first hearing the news, most people instantly begin to panic over everything that must be completed before leaving.  The best way to begin is to create a checklist or to-do list and prioritize when things must be done.  To help my fellow spouses I have done just that.  Below you will find a printable checklist that I personally could not have done without.  I personally created it in a time of need and hope that you will find it as useful as I did.



If you're new here there is a ton of great information scattered throughout the site.  Be sure to become a follower and stick around.

To print out the in detail checklist like the one above, click here for Checklist Version 1.5 (updated  04/04/12). I had this list posted on my fridge so I could gradually mark things off as we went through our PCS, it was a great feat getting it all finished. If I missed anything, please let me know so I can update accordingly.  If I do update, I will post a newer version when I have an opportunity.  If you are moving BACK to the states from Germany and need  checklist there is an updated one that can be found on the post titled, PCS Checklist from Overseas to Stateside.

Other posts that you might be interested in and can help in completing the checklist include:  Household Goods and Unaccompanied Baggage, Separation Technique for Movers, Moving a Pet for Overseas PCS, and Updated Posts and Travel Records Kit

It never hurts to be prepared!  Start prepping early and the move should go much smoother than if you are to procrastinate.  We were given about 3 months of time to prepare for the move and everything went smoothly following this checklist.  If anything pertinent needs to be added, let me know and I'll adjust it. (Especially for those of you with kids.  We don't have any so may have missed some important steps for them.)

8 comments:

  1. This is great in formation. I really wish I could have found this website in November. We were given about 75 days notice before we were sent to Germany. I had no idea what to bring/ what to do because I have always been at Fort Bragg. I have a friend traveling to Germany in July and am putting together some info for her. I appreciate the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I first started this page to help others. I truly hope that some of this information helps your friend, even though you didn't get to use it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for creating this list. We're moving to Germany in three months and the checklist has already been helpful. I would add a couple things to the driving section (that we just uncovered). One -- every vehicle has to be inspected before it can be shipped. Two -- you have to have a specific first aid kit (DIN 13164) in your vehicle as well as a orange triangles and foil blanket. Luckily, you can get all of these on Amazon. Finally, before you leave you can get a AAA international driving permit that is recognized in several countries. It does NOT take the place of a German drivers license, but is an additional item to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input. Just so you know the inspection to ship your vehicle should take place at the same time that you ship your vehicle by the shipping company. Also, the first aid kit and triangle are required but are easily purchased at almost any store here if you did not want to purchase online. I will add them to the list though so people know. Thank you again for your response!

      Delete
  3. How long before the PCS should we start the list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's up to you. Obviously the earlier you start, the less stressful the final moments leading up to the actual move will be. Also, depending on your family circumstances it may take you longer to get through some checklist items than others. For instance, if you are currently living in a spacious home with plenty of extra stuff lying around, it may take you a month or two to sort through it all and rid yourself of the excess. If you are preparing pets to ride in a kennel, I would recommend a minimum of a month's exposure to a kennel before putting them on the plane.

      In our personal experience, we started 3 months out and we were able to make it through the entire list but also are a family of two just starting out with very little furniture and excess.

      Delete
  4. Hi! I don't know how to do an appropriate Linkback thing but I'm sharing this post on a Facebook page I'm starting (mostly for myself. :-)) Thank you for sharing all of your great knowledge. I might linkback on a few of your posts. They're VERY helpful. The page is called "The PCS Place" if you wanna see it. :) It doesn't have any likes right now. Haha. But hopefully soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be going through PCS in two months and it's my first time, so this checklist is a life saver for me! Thank you soo much! At least the good thing is I've learned German so it will be easier to communicate with the locals.

    ReplyDelete