Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Close Call

About a week or so ago, we noticed that our orders had been taken down off my husband's AKO account and ERB.  When we first found out, my heart completely sunk.  I didn't want to post anything about it being gone because I wanted to see what would happen next.  We weren't sure if they were changing our orders completely or just updating the date listed that he needs to report for.  The date had previously stated August 29th, but since he isn't going to finish school until the beginning of October, that makes it quite impossible.


Anyway, yesterday Matthew checked  again (the website updates on Tuesdays) and our orders were back up, with Germany as our projected location and an updated date of November 11th (much more do-able).

While we were going through the week or two span of not knowing what would come next, Matthew had been researching airborne school as well as other specializations such as Rangers and Special Forces.  I am fine with airborne, yes it is a bit scary to think his daily life would include jumping out of airplanes, but it's also a fairly common specialization so I'm not too frightened by it.  I don't know about the other two though, just the thought of him entering them gives me a near heart attack.  Maybe I'm being to protective but from what I know about the two fields, the added stress and pressure that it applies to both the individual and the family seems overwhelming.  I'm not one to hold him back from his dreams but I feel that I almost need to put my foot down on this issue.  I'm wondering if any of my readers know someone that is a spouse of a special forces or ranger member.  If so, I would LOVE their input and perspective on being supportive of such a thing.  I personally think that special forces and ranger units are more designed for the single individual, but that's just me.

Anyway, so when we found out our orders didn't change after all, Matthew was in a bitter sweet type of mood.  He was looking forwards to entering airborne but didn't want to join if it would put our duty station at risk.  I feel bad because I want him to be able to do what he wants, but with the uncertainty of the Army, who knows what will happen.  If we go through with Germany, then we wont see family more than maybe once a year or so and since he's currently assigned to a rapid deployment unit, it means he'll probably deploy almost immediately after our arrival.  BUT, we would get to have an experience that many only wish they could have.

Matthew says that we would eventually get to travel Europe if we don't get Germany but when you actually think about it, how many people say that but never get around to it?  There's always bills and expenses to pay that limit the funding to save for an overseas trip.  If we have kids in the near future we'll have to worry about them and if we're going to take them, leave them, all the preparations that would go along with it.

I don't know... There is just so much to consider and it's hard to think that everything will be happening in such a near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment