Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chicken Alfredo Calzones

I made this recipe the other day and thought I would share it with all of you.  I'm sorry, I forgot to snag a picture but I promise to do so the next time I get around to making it.

This recipe is a great, go-to meal if you're not wanting to make anything from scratch.  But can be versatile and allows you to make the dough and sauce from scratch if you wish.  I eventually threw together this recipe because I was sick of not being able to find Italian restaurants in my current town that serve Chicken Alfredo Calzones.  There is one restaurant back home that makes some that are so good that I'll literally have cravings for them for a week straight.  This is about as good as it gets until I can get back home or better yet, test out some authentic Italian Calzones in Italy!


Ingredients:
*1 lb. boneless skinless chicken
*2 pizza crusts
*1/2 lb bacon
*1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
*1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
*1/4 cup olive oil
*1 jar of favorite Alfredo Sauce
*Sliced mushrooms (optional)  **
*Sliced olives (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Slice chicken into thin strips, salt and pepper to taste.  Place about 2 Tbsp of the olive oil in a large skillet and cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear.  Set aside
3. While bacon is still cold, cut into small pieces (about 1/4# width).  Cook in skillet until done.
4.  Cut each pizza crust in half and place on a greased cookie sheet.  On one half of the pizza crust place chicken, sauce, mozzarella cheese, and bacon.  Fold over remaining dough to cover contents and seal edges by pinching or using a fork.
5. Brush olive oil over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.  Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

*Make it a family night by having everyone make their own calzones. 
**To cook the mushrooms, use about 2 Tbsp of the bacon grease to cook in a skillet for about 10 minutes or until tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment