Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Granola Bars


You remember that recipe book I mentioned a few posts back?  The one that I got the Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie recipe from?  Well this recipe is from the same book and it is another pledge to how wonderful the book is.


I will admit that the first time I made this recipe I burned the bottom of the bars... Not just a little extra crispy... Like burnt so bad the bottom is black and the bars are hard as rocks.  I learned from my mistake and adjusted the cooking time a little and viola! Delicious baked goods!  These are so yummy that my husband couldn't even wait for me to cut the bars... Instead he kept swooping into the kitchen to break off pieces to eat.

Aside from the cooking time, I did add chocolate chips to the recipe.  Because I mean, what isn't better with chocolate??!

Click here for Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:
*2 cups old-fashioned oats, uncooked
*3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
*3/4 cup chopped walnuts
*3/4 cup dried cranberries
*2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
*2 tsp ground cinnamon
*1/2 tsp salt
*1/2 cup honey
*1/2 cup vegetable oil
*2 large egg whites
*1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line 13" by 9" pan with foil (makes it easier to remove the bars from the pan); spray foil with cooking spray.
2. In glass pie plate, spread oats; microwave on High, in 1-minute increments, 4 to 5 minutes or until fragrant and golden, stirring occasionally.  Cool to room temperature.  (We don't have a microwave *gasp* so I cooked in the oven at about 1-2 minute increments for about 10 minutes.)


3. In large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, walnuts, cranberries, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.  Stir in honey, oil and egg whites until well mixed.  Transfer to prepared pan.  Using wet hand, press into even layer.


4.  Bake 32-35 minutes (mine were done closer to 28 minutes, so start watching them early so you don't burn them!) or until dark golden.  Cool completely in pan on wire rack.


5. When cool, lift foil, with pastry, out of pan; peel foil away from sides.  Cut into desirable size bars.  Store in tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in freezer for up to 1 month.

Yummm!

If you missed the blog that had a link to Amazon where you can purchase the book... Here you go!


No comments:

Post a Comment