Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Stieg Larsson is a brilliant man.  Yesterday I finished the last book of the "The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo" trilogy and I must say that I was very impressed with how the book unfolded.

I received the book in the mail about 2 weeks ago after ordering it used through ebay.  I knew that I was going to have to read feverishly to finish it so that the movers can take it in my Unaccompanied Baggage but there really was no rush.  Although it was a 500 or some odd page monster, the book kept me turning the pages and returning for more every time I put it down. 


I'm not going to lie, if you begin the trilogy, it would probably be best if you read each of the books back to back.  The way Stieg Larsson writes, he doesn't waste any time jumping back into the story line at the beginning of the 2nd and 3rd books.  It has been about two months or so since I finished the second novel with plenty of books that I had read in between so some of the details of the plot escaped me as I was trying to get into the novel.  The only other beef that I had with the book is again the endless amount of characters that Larsson presents.  I almost felt the need to write down all the names and their role in the book so it would be easier to follow, especially with very similar names such as Ekstrom and Edklinth... Maybe they aren't that similar but me being my naive, American, self that is not used to names like this often had to do a double take and remember which one was the good guy and which was the bad guy.  About 300 pages into it I finally started to get a grip on the names, I just wish it had happened a little earlier on.

I highly recommend this series, if the story line doesn't get you, Larsson's style of writing will.  This man is a glorious author that knows his stuff!  Go buy the books, now!

No comments:

Post a Comment