Saturday, December 10, 2011

Moving In and Moving On

The last time I posted an update we were still in the hotel and I was dreading how long it was going to take to get housing and to get settled.  I was worried that we would be stuck in a hotel for yet another holiday.  Well the good news is, that isn't going to happen!

Everything started to fall into place on Friday, the 2nd.  We got the fateful call that said an apartment was available for previewing and all we had to do was look at it and sign a few papers.  Although I wasn't "thrilled" with all aspects of the apartment, we were lacking any other options and therefore said yes.  We were scheduled to move in on Tuesday and our HHG were scheduled to be delivered that same day.  Monday morning we received an e-mail that said our UB had arrived as well and we were lucky enough to schedule it's delivery for Tuesday as well.  Keeping up?  We were to get our house, household goods, and unaccompanied baggage all in one day.  How exciting!
All hardwood floors... Usually a nice touch except with a dog that makes it impossible to keep them clean.


Half of living room and our balcony.

Dining room



Hall, coat closet on left, bathroom on right followed by linen closet and bedrooms

Very narrow bathroom

Master bedroom

Master bedroom closet space.  It's a good thing we have an extra room!

It was a long and stressful day that started at 8 am when we met the inspector to go over the house.  By 0900 the inspector was gone and I was wondering how long it was going to take for our deliveries.  I didn't have long to sit around because at 0915, our UB arrived.  I still had half of the box(es) to unpack when our HHG arrived and then the work REALLY started. 

Mandi's dog bed and toys were packed in our UB so it was one of the first things I unpacked.  She was so excited to have her things back!
I was actually shocked by how quickly we were able to unpack the boxes.  The last time we moved it took me about 3 days to get through all the boxes.  This time we did it all in one day.  To top it off, we were able to make a run to the Commissary and PX to stock up on a few necessities, as well as run by TKS to arrange for our phone, internet, and cable for the house.  I would say that it was a productive day!  Of course by the end of it, I was absolutely dead on my feet, but it was nice to feel so accomplished!

I could not convince my husband to let the movers do their job and put the furniture where it's supposed to be and put it back together.  He insisted that we do it ourselves.... so we did....




By no means is our house "finished", I don't think it will be for a long while.  There are still so many things that I want to change/alter/add to make it feel more like home and completed.  But there has been so much stress and anxiety coupled with just the move itself that it's a breath of fresh air to have the biggest step completed and out of the way. 


Now if only I could get the movers to come back and pick up the packing materials!

I'm so glad that we have moved in so we can finally move on with our lives!

Speaking of which, we got to tour a bit of downtown today and I'll be posting pictures in a post following this one. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment