* 1 lb Italian sausage , casings removed (mild or hot)
* 1 lb ground beef
* 1 small onion , chopped (optional)
* 3 -4 garlic cloves , minced
* 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
* 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
* 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 3 teaspoons basil
* 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
* 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup red wine (Cabernet or Merlot work great)
* 1 lb thin spaghetti
* Parmesan cheese
1. In large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage and beef, breaking up as you stir.
2. Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
3. Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water. Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
4. Stir well and barely bring to a boil. Stir in red wine.
5. Simmer on low, stirring frequently for about an hour. A longer simmer makes for a better sauce, just be careful not to let it burn! If you want to let it simmer for longer, add an extra 1/2 cup water in step 3.
6. Cook spaghetti according to package directions
7. Spoon sauce over drained spaghetti noodles and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.