Sunday, January 8, 2012

Jumping Back on the Treadmill

One of the things that I've been really hoping to do the last few months is get back in the habit of running.  In the Spring and early Summer I was running 3-4 times a week and was at the point that I could run 3 miles without stopping.  When I reached that point in my running abilities I was so incredibly proud of myself and all that I had accomplished.  In early June I ran my first 5k and at the end nearly burst out in tears because it was something I never thought I would do.  This year I hope to demolish my own expectations and  become the runner I've always wished I were.

After my move from California to Georgia running took the backseat and after awhile disappeared from my life completely.  I missed it dearly but once I stopped it was hard to jump back on the wagon while competing with the Georgia humidity and only hills to run on around my home.  Now that we've officially settled in in Germany I can get on with my running goals.

Like the first time, I'm following the Couch to 5K program in order to get me to the 3 mile marker.  After that I'm hoping to add about 1 mile to my distances every month using the same basic method of interval training as in the Couch to 5k program.  I know that I could push myself and add more than a mile per month but I don't want to get burnt out or worse, end up with an injury.

Two things on my bucket list include running a half-marathon and running a marathon.  I fully intend to complete both those goals within the next few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment