Sunday, January 29, 2012

Slow Cooked Stuffed Bell Peppers


Yummm!  These bad boys tasted delicious!  I was a little unsure about what to expect when I first started prepping for them but one bite into them and I knew that the recipe was a keeper.  Just top with a little sour cream and there you go!  Super easy and absolutely delicious!

 I honestly can't remember where I got this recipe.  I initially thought that it was Paula Dean's, but when went back to look for it to add a link it wasn't the right one.  Well, I tip my hat anyway to the person who created this lovely side.



Printable Recipe


4 medium sweet red peppers
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
3/4 cup salsa
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/3 cup uncooked converted long grain rice
1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Reduced-fat sour cream, optional

Directions:

1.  Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds; set aside. 

2.  In a large bowl, combine the beans, cheese, salsa, onion, corn, rice, chili powder and cumin; spoon into peppers. 

3. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated lightly with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through. Serve with sour cream if desired.


Side Note:  The top of the pepper toppings may look dry but there is actually a fair amount of liquid within the pepper.  Just a word of caution if you decide to cut open your pepper... do so on a separate dish so the rest of the food on your plate gets soaked.




No comments:

Post a Comment