Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Taco Soup

This is one of my favorite recipes to make.  One of the reasons is because it is so incredibly easy to make.  It is also incredibly delicious.  I had never heard of Taco Soup or Taco Chili before until we were getting ready to move away from Georgia.  We went to a friend's house on a Friday, like we did nearly every Friday and my dear friend, Deanna, had prepared some.  Now, when I first saw this food I was very hesitant to eat it.  It has corn in it and to me it didn't seem that corn belonged in any type of soup or chili.  Oh my goodness, I'm so glad that I tried it.  So when we got to Germany, I went on a search to find a taco soup recipe and here it is.



A good substitution would be to use ground turkey rather than ground beef but for some strange reason our Commissary here does not carry ground turkey. :-(


Printable Recipe


2 pounds ground beef
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix or 3 Tbsp of Homemade Taco Seasoning
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 (15 ounce) can mild chili beans
1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
1 (1 ounce) package ranch salad dressing mix

Directions

In a Dutch oven or large pot, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

I personally doubled this recipe to create freezer meals and it created 13 1.5-2 cup bags for servings in addition to providing dinner the night that I made it.
Prior to Freezing.  Be sure to freeze as flat as possible to make for easier stacking in the freezer.

Fully Frozen.  Mark the freezer bags with the quantity and the date that the soup was made/frozen.  To cook, thaw overnight enough that the soup can be broken up and then reheat in the microwave or on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment