Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

When my friend, Nicole, hosted my bridal shower in November of 2010, she requested that guests bring a recipe each to help build my collection.  My grandmother and great-grandmother came prepared and handed me not just one recipe but a stack of recipes to keep.  In this stack was a gem that I love to make and is a fresh perspective on not only enchiladas but casseroles.  I have made this dish several times and I love it even more every time.



Ingredients:
4 Chicken breasts (diced and cooked)
1 dozen corn tortillas (torn into pieces)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup salsa
1 cup milk
8 oz. grated cheese
2 (4 oz) cans Ortega green chile peppers

Directions:

1.  If chicken is not already cooked, heat about 1 Tbsp of oil in a skillet, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and cook until done.
2. Preheat oven to 350* F
3.  In a medium bowl combine soups and milk.
4. Lightly spray 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray and layer: tortillas, soup mixture, onion, chicken, salsa, chile peppers, cheese, repeat until no ingredients remain.
5.  Bake 30-40 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and contents are cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment