Saturday, February 25, 2012

Freezer Breakfast Burritos

Okay, it has taken me a lot longer to get around to posting this than I had originally imagined.  A busy week filled with the Fasching Parade, hosting a brunch, FRG Meetings, and trip planning, etc., has kept this post at bay.  Nevertheless, here it is (btw, the picture quality is really crappy, they were pretty much my first attempt at using manual mode and I was rushing!):


I am not a cereal person.  Don't get me wrong, I love cereal, but it doesn't agree with my body.  It doesn't fill me up and makes my blood sugar spike so I end up dizzy, shaky, and all-around feeling terrible about 1-2 hours afterward.  So, for the past month or so I have been reinventing my breakfast meals so that I can have more nutritious breakfasts but still not have to spend all morning in the kitchen preparing them...

Therefore, the freezer breakfast burrito was born!  I have done this "batch cooking" for breakfast burritos twice now, once I only did a half recipe to make sure they froze well and to see how long they would last in our household.  Needless to say 16 burritos were gone in 2 weeks...  This time I did a full scale cook and managed a total of 30 burritos.

The blog I originally found this on used one giant electric skillet that could sit on the counter top... I don't have anything like that (besides my griddle which wouldn't bode well), so I unfortunately ended up with much more dishes than I like to do, but hey... it's only once a month!



Printable Recipe Click Here

Ingredients:
2 lb bacon, chopped/diced (for easier chopping, cut when bacon is semi-frozen!)
1 pkg (approx 1.5 lb) chorizo or 2 lb sausage
1 green bell pepper
1 onion
4-6 potatoes, diced
20 large eggs
30-32 flour fajita size tortillas
Vegetable oil
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spread bacon pieces on a 9x13 baking dish and place in oven for approx. 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove chorizo from casings and crumble into a small baking dish and bake for approx. 8 minutes stirring occasionally.  Drain each before adding to complete mixture.

2.  Heat a good portion of vegetable oil in a skillet for frying.  Add potatoes and fry until golden brown but not crunchy.  Do not overcook.  Transfer potatoes to a paper towel lined plate to drain grease.



3.  Saute onions and bell pepper until cooked.  Meanwhile, crack eggs into a blender and blend for a few seconds.

4.  Once all components (aside from eggs) are finished cooking, combine in a large stove top dish (skillet, pot, etc.).  Add eggs and cook until done.  Do not overcook eggs.

5.   Spoon amounts of mixture into tortillas, top with cheese, and roll.


6.  To store in the freezer, individually wrap burritos in saran wrap and place in gallon size freezer bags.


*I can usually fit about 5 burritos in each freezer bag.


** To reheat just unwrap and place on a microwaveable plate.  Depending on your microwave will change how long you heat them for.  I usually go for 1 1/2 minutes, flip the burrito over and cook for another 30 sec to 1 min.  Add salsa and you're good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment