Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Not Even Close to Giving Up

So for those of you that have been following, I have been trying to get back into running.  Last spring and beginning of summer I was running 3-5 times a week and was up to the 5K distance (3.1 miles).  Unfortunately with my move to Georgia, my running schedule got sadly interrupted and I couldn't combat the oppressive heat and humidity to continue my running adventures.
A picture of myself and Mandi completing my first 5k ever (June 2011)
 Well about 5 weeks ago I picked it up again, and although it is way too cold to be running like a crazy person outside, I have been working my tail-end off on the treadmill.  I just wanted to give a bit of an update on everything.

Since restarting at the beginning, this round of training to run a 5k has been surprisingly easier than the first go.  Last time I struggled for over a week to get to the 20 min jog point, but amazingly completed 20 minutes the first time I attempted it.  If you want to read about my first successful 20 minute jog from last year, click here.

When planning out my schedule for this time around I allowed for 1 and a half weeks to get up to the 20 minute point, like it took last time.  So with this extra week, rather than working on increasing the distance, I'm pushing myself to improve my pace.  I had to slow my pace drastically so I wouldn't be burnt out during the run so this is my opportunity to increase my stamina at a faster pace.

I am proud of myself, but I am no where near the end of this adventure.  I will not stop and I will keep pushing myself towards improvement.  Just today I skimmed 2 minutes off my 2 mile run... I'd say that I am definitely improving.

Please stick around to hear about running improvements that are still to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment