Thursday, March 8, 2012

Foto Friday- Photo Editing Software


Someone once told me that there was no point in having an expensive camera if you didn't have decent editing software to go with it.  I tend to disagree to a point because the point of having a better camera and using it well is to create beautiful images without a lot of fine tuning on the computer.  However, having editing software takes your images above and beyond and especially when you're first learning your camera and tend to mess up the settings, it's really nice to be able to go back through and fix them.

I know it's not fancy but I usually just use Picasa to do quick editing but I've always thought is was incredibly limiting.  I downloaded Gimp which is a free version of photoshop but could never get very far with it because it was so confusing.  Well you may or may not know that Lightroom 4 has just been released and is at a really good discounted price.  Well before I spend over $100 on a editing program I decided to test it out and see if it's something worth purchasing.  Below are some edited images where I compared the editing powers of Picasa versus Lightroom.

Be sure to click to enlarge the pictures and see all the differences in full view.


Notice the sharper colors, the flakes of snow that were previously on his face are edited out, and the feathered edges that make the colors pop even more.
This one isn't such a drastic change but there is a definite difference in the sharpness of the picture and the enhanced colors.

This is what I meant when I said messing up the settings on the camera.  During the parade I had the WB on the wrong setting and all my photos came out with a blue tint.  I fixed it the best I could on Picasa (on the left) but when I went to Lightroom it took only one click and it turned into the image on the right.





No comments:

Post a Comment