Sunday, April 22, 2012

Somebody Else's Daughter


I was actually pleasantly surprised by this book.  I had purchased it when Border’s was going out of business and it only cost me about $2.  It wasn’t my first choice while shopping because the synopsis was mediocre and there were so many copies on the shelf it seemed like other people didn’t enjoy the book either.  But nonetheless it was only $2 and I added it to my increasingly large stack.

With how little interest I had in the novel in the beginning I thought that the novel was much more enjoyable than the summary led on.  I was expecting a story more focused on the dramatics of giving a child up for adoption or something along the lines but in actuality was faced with a bit of a thriller/mystery in addition to drama.  


That being said, it wasn't the best book I ever read.  It had a fairly low reading level but was clearly an adult novel with some of the subjects it poached.  One of my main complaints about this novel is the number of characters that are present.  Not only was following and keeping the characters straight a difficult task but it also made it impossible to give a thorough and in depth look at any one character.  Therefore, the reader is left with no real connection to any of the characters.  Also, although the thriller portion of the novel was exciting and threw a few extra twists the reader's way, it was also fairly predictable who the villain was in the end.  It seemed that the author gave just a tad too much foreshadowing throughout the novel that allowed me to piece the mystery together before the story even played out.

The book description given by Amazon.com is as follows:
" At the center of Elizabeth Brundage’s new novel lies an adoption under stressed and tragic circumstances. Willa, brought up in elegant prosperity, is now a student at the prestigious Pioneer School. But her biological father, a failing writer and former drug addict, can’t live with himself without seeing her again.

In this idyllic Berkshires landscape, Willa’s adoptive parents have fled a mysterious past; a feminist sculptor initiates a reckless affair; teenagers live in a world to which adults turn a blind eye; and the headmaster’s wife is busy keeping her husband’s disastrous history and current indiscretions well hidden. The culmination of these forces is the collision of two very different fathers—biological and adoptive—and a villain whose ends and means slowly unfold with the help, witting and unwitting, of all around him. Somebody Else’s Daughter delivers an electric, suspenseful tale of richly conflicted characters and the disturbed landscape of the American psyche."

Nonetheless, I would recommend this book to others because it was a different type of story line than I have read in the past and did have an interesting plot line.  I would also be interested in seeing what else this particular author has to offer.  If you have read anything from Elizabeth Brundage, please let me know how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment