Thursday, June 28, 2012

Foto Friday - Learning to Edit


With all the pictures I have taken in the past 4 or 5 months with my new camera, I'm editing huge batches as well.  Upon first getting some of my pictures I would hardly touch the images and then call them good.  Some required more work, I just didn't know what to look for.  Not to mention that I've always been afraid of over exposing my image in post processing.  I don't want to be perceived as an amateur that blows out people's faces in order to reduce the number of blemish I have to repair later.  So I'm starting to pay attention to histograms and I'm slowly starting to train my eye (trying to at least) to know what to look for so that I can develop my images to look one step above how they were before.



BEFORE

AFTER

Things that required fixing:
Straighten
White Balance
Exposure
Highlights
Deepening the background shadows
Brushing out the bright green building in the background
Enhancing the colors on the horses
etc.

The picture can be even better, I'm sure but I'm so sick of editing this one picture that I'm ready to move on with my life.  I have learned a lot though, specifically about night photography, while working with this image.

What do you think about the alterations?

2 comments:

  1. I think you made it look beautiful!!! It looks like a painting!!! What program do you use?

    ReplyDelete