Sunday, August 26, 2012

Not Your Mama's Grilled Cheese (Turkey Pepperjack Melt)

When I was younger, I thought the only way to have grilled cheese was to smack some cheddar cheese between white bread, slather it in butter and cook it.  Boy was I wrong. 

In high school, my mind was blown when my husband's mother made us grilled cheese with ham in the center.  I had never liked grilled cheese until that moment.

I love to try different variations nowadays and although it has become something more of a "sandwich melt" it's roots developed from the various grilled cheese sandwiches that I've had throughout the years.  The sandwich I make now is frequently requested for lunch and is an immediate fan favorite.


Ingredients:
Wheat, whole grain bread or sourdough bread
Margarine/Butter Spread
Tomato, sliced
Avocado, sliced or mashed
Pepperjack cheese
Turkey lunch meat

Directions:
1. Preheat a griddle or skillet to medium-low.
2. Spread butter on one side of two pieces of bread, lying face up on a plate.
3. On one piece of bread layer the avocado, tomato, cheese, lunch meat, and the other piece of bread (butter facing outward), being careful not to get the butter on your hands.
4.  Place in preheated skillet and cook until bottom is browned, carefully flip and continue cooking until alternate side is browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment