Saturday, August 11, 2012

Shopping List PDF and How To

I love some of the things that you come across on Pinterest.  I have snagged many brilliant ideas and have tried them out on my own because of this glorious website.  Just yesterday I came across a "home binder" idea and the woman shared all her PDF's and forms that she used to organize different parts of her life.

One of the PDF's that I really enjoyed was her shopping list that she created for her home.  I liked it so much that I made my own.  I tried and tried to find the link again after I viewed it so I can provide you with her plethora of organizing ideas but I can not find it for the life of me.  That's the problem with Pinterest, if you don't pin it right away, the pin will be lost in the abyss forever. 

My version:


Anyway, although I loved her PDF it was much too specific for her family and it wouldn't be helpful for my own.  And although I like to think of myself as Microsoft Word savvy, I know most others don't share the same knowledge and wouldn't be able to create something like this on their own.  Soooo, I did step-by-step instructions with screenshots to help you develop your own.  Or if mine works for you, simply click the link in the paragraph above and enjoy a free PDF.


But before I get into all that, I'll give a brief description of how I organized the page so you get a better idea of what you're looking at.  

The categories are listed in the order by which I see them as I walk through the commissary.  It makes it easier to grab items as I go if they're already sorted by where they are located. 

On the side where the yellow bar is, would be my budget and running total for the cost of my groceries.  My budget changes from week to week based on what is on sale and what I can stock up on for future weeks.  The "Est. Cost" is an area where I can do a rough estimate while I'm in the store to make sure I don't go over budget when I reach the register. 

At the bottom is a mini-calendar where I write what we're eating for dinner each night.  There have been times when I go to the store with a list and decide that one of the ingredients is too expensive but without knowing which recipe the ingredient belongs to, I don't know how to decide if I can throw out the ingredient or try a new route, etc.

Now, the Purple categories are actually my PX items but rather than creating a whole new list, I can do all my errands at once and mark it all off.

The table can be made in 6 comprehensive steps.  In the screenshot below you'll see where the first 5 steps show up and an unfinished version of the shopping list.


#1  Make the table

Under the "Insert" tab select "Table".  Select the appropriate number of columns and rows for what you want to do.  For a chart that looks like mine, you want a 4x10 table.


#2 Set the Color/Font/Font Size/Background color for the categories

Place your cursor to the left side of the category cell until a bold arrow pops up.  Click and drag over the cells that you want to include in the alterations.  You'll notice that my first 3 are highlighted.

All of your settings can be changed under the "Home" tab and I have arrows pointing to each setting in the screenshot to help you locate them.  If you are wondering about my font, it is a downloaded font from the web.  To download fonts google a website that offers free fonts, click "download" on the one you like, and save it to a place that where you will be able to find it easily (I use "desktop").   Now under My Computer search for "fonts" and a folder should come up.  Drag and drop the font you just downloaded into the font folder and viola!

#3 Bullet Points

Under each category you want to list commonly purchased items for your household.  Be sure to leave a few blank bullet points so you can hand write anything that isn't listed.

I don't have a screenshot but to do bullet points you simply click the button under the "Home" tab that shows bullet points.  If you want to change the type of bullet point, click the arrow that is next to the button to change it up.

When your bullet points first show up, they will probably be indented half way through your cell box, to fix that, right click on the bullet point and select "Decrease Indent".  It will shift it over some and give you more room to write.

#4 Create a Separate Column for your Budget/etc.

If you look at my original screenshot you'll notice that my budget column isn't really a separate table, it is simply a continuation of the main table.  It looks like it is separate because of the uniform color and lack of borders.  To create your column, simply highlight the entire column of cells and make the same color. 

If you don't want a budget column, just add more categories!  Simple as that.
    
#5 Create the Borders You Want

There are a couple of different ways of doing this, but I think this is the easiest way.
Start by removing all borders.  Select the entire table and either on the pop-up toolbox (as seen in the screen shot) or using the button next to the background color button, click on "No Border".


For borders like mine, start by selecting each column individually and then using the same drop down menu box used in the last step, select "Right Border".


You can alter the width and color of the border by going to the "Design" tab and adjusting the boxes seen on the right side of the toolbar.  My table has 1 1/4 pt borders, if I remember correctly.

Btw, don't mind the crazy time stamp that gives away when I secretly work on my blog.... lol

#6 Merging Cells

My shopping list has an "Additional Items" category where any overspill of products I need can go.  The row has three columns, so in order to make one long column that looks streamlined select all three cells and under the "Layout" tab, select "Merge Cells".  If the text is off-set to the side, go to the "Home" tab and set the alignment at center.

#7 Mini-Calendar

The mini-calendar is simply another table that is 7x2 cells.  You can make your own by repeating step 1 and 2 at the bottom of the page.

**NOTE:  If you find that you do not have enough room, it is very simple to make your margins narrower, giving more room to work with on the page.  Simply select the tab "Page Layout", followed by "Margins", and either select "Narrow" or customize them to make them even smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment