Sunday, October 28, 2012

Graveyard Pudding

It's been awhile since I've been on here.  I mentioned awhile ago that I had too many hobbies going at once so certain things were going to have to take the back seat.  My blog, was one of those hobbies.  I might not be around much anymore but I'll try to post every now and then. 

The other night I hosted a Halloween party and I made a couple of really fun dishes that people seemed to enjoy.  One of them was a traditional graveyard pudding. 


 You can't see much of it in the picture above but I'm sure you've seen a similar set up.

The topping over the pudding is crushed Oreos and the tombstone is Milano cookies.  I would have liked to write "RIP" on each of them but I was short on time.  These pudding cups are super rich and chocolatey that reminds me of chocolate mousse when chilled.  Thankfully, the recipe is super simple and will only dirty a blender and 1-2 bowls.

Ingredients:

14 ounces (about 3 cups) semisweet chocolate
2 large eggs, plus 2 yolks  (4 eggs total)
2 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup Mocha flavored Kahlua


Directions:

1. In a blender, whirl chocolate until finely chopped.  Set aside in a bowl.  Put eggs and yolks in the blender and blend.

2.  In a large bowl, heat whipping cream in a microwave oven at full power until cream boils, 3-5 minutes.

3. Add cream to eggs and blend at high speed.  Check temperature of mixture with thermometer; if below 160°, pour mixture back into glass measure and reheat in microwave oven at full power until it reaches 160°, stirring and checking at 15-second intervals.

4. Combine all ingredients in blender; whirl until smooth, about 1 minute.

5.  Pour mixture into small cups or glasses (about 1/2 cup per glass).   Chill until softly set, 30 to 45 minutes. If making ahead, cover and chill up to 1 day. For creamiest texture, let desserts stand at room temperature about 30 minutes before eating.

6. Top with crumbled Oreos and Milano cookies.

1 comment: