Thursday, June 13, 2013

Big Plans

There has been so many personal issues that I've been facing recently whether it's problems back home with family or problems surfacing here in Germany, BUT there are also some very exciting things cooking up in my life that I would love to share with everyone.  This is going to be a bit of a long post, I'll litter the post with some random photos of my dog to keep things interesting.


 First off, the last post that went live was post number 300!  I can't believe I have written so much to be published for the world to see.  I didn't even realize it until much later.  Although I'm not as active with my blog as I once was, it is still an opportunity for me to get my ideas and thoughts out there as well as keep a lifeline out to my family back home. My most popular posts BY FAR are those regarding PCS moves.  It prides me that my blog is one of the very first results when googling a Germany PCS move.  Even googling PCS checklist brings up my website withing the first 2 results.  Considering how "small time" my blog is, it's something to be proud of. 



I'm going sugar free...  at least for now.  I have given up processed sugars to try to curb some of my bad habits.  I love fruit so I would never be able to give up natural sugars but any sugars that are an additive to food, I don't eat.  This includes everything from fruit juices and sodas, chocolate and candies, ice cream and dessert items, and even most condiments (BBQ sauce, ketchup, mayo, etc.).  Today marks the 1 week in which I have not had any.  There are only two exceptions, I allow myself up to 1 serving of whole grain bread a day and since the girls and I have a weekly wine night, I allow just a couple of glasses of wine with them.

The purpose of this was not to lose weight but rather to break some bad habits of mine.  It is incredible to me how much I am craving sweets on day 7 and how much more aware I am of those sugary foods that I used to eat.  How easy it had become to walk over to a candy dish and grab a handful of chocolates to munch on.  How much easier it was to grab a highly sugared granola bar or bowl of cereal when I didn't want to take the time to cook.  It is truly incredible how much of everyday items include processed or added sugar in them.  I challenge you to go through your kitchen and examine the ingredient lists of everything in your fridge and cupboard, you'll be surprised what you find.  Heck I even found sugar in our turkey breast lunch meat!  I am going to try to keep it up for 30 days and see how it goes from there.  I will feel no guilt adding things back into my diet that I went without for 30 days like said lunch meat or the occasional granola bar but I sincerely hope that this assists in keeping me away from the chocolate aisle and only on occasion grabbing an ice cream from the villainous ice cream man.


Other great things coming...

We're planning LOTS of travel for this summer.  I am so stinking excited for all the trips we have coming up.  The first one is in the second week of July.  I'm doing a girls trip with 5 other women and we're heading to Brussels for overnight.  We'll be driving there and staying in a rented apartment (not a hotel) and then driving back at the end of the next day.  Nearly 48 hours with just the girls.  No drama, husbands, kids, etc.  Just hanging out and probably plenty of wine!

A week following that trip, my husband and I will be going on an 11 day vacation.  11 Days!  We're taking a Mediterranean cruise that will take us from Spain, to France, Italy, and Croatia.  Whew!  It is going to be quite an adventure.  We have a lot of planning to do... *cough cough*... I mean "I" have a lot of planning to do since my husband pretty much leaves it up to me, but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Finally... We're going to London after my birthday in August!  I'm so thrilled for this trip!  We'll be leaving the day after my birthday so the trip is essentially my birthday gift.  And I am more than okay with that.  I've wanted to go to London since I was 14 so I'm so excited that I'm finally getting the chance.


Last but not least....

School let out today!  I will be out of work for the next 2.5 months so I will have plenty of time to work on my photography, plan our move, hang with friends, and really enjoy our travels!  Maybe even post a bit more on this blog. 

So that's what's cooking on my end!  What a summer this is going to be!


No comments:

Post a Comment